The solution worked for Ubuntu 14.04
HP-ENVY-15-Notebook-PC:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
1) Run “sudo lshw -C network” and if you “Uncliamed” against the Wireless Network then it means that driver is missing
HP-ENVY-15-Notebook-PC:~$ lshw -C network
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
description: network controller
product: RT3290 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
vendor: Ralink corp.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
width: 32 bits
resources: irq:18 memory:d3610000-d361ffff
2) Download driver for Ubuntu from here
3) Extract the downloaded file to /usr/src
You may get Permission Denied message while trying to extract to this location or Paste option will not be available, in such case grant permission for your user account to /usr/src
sudo chown username:username /usr/src
e.g sudo chown hsuser:hsuser /usr/src
4) Run the command as per in the Readme file which is
Run sudo dkms install -m rt3290sta -v 18.104.22.168 –force
5) Reboot and then the wireless should start working.