We have Windows 8 64 bit laptop users who receive this error while trying to use Cisco VPN.
Click Start and type regedit in the Search field and hit enter.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CVirtA
- Find the String Value called DisplayName
- Right click and select Modify from the context menu.
- In Value data, remove @oemX.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;. The Value data should only contain Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows.
- Click Ok.
- Close Registry Editor.
- Retry your Cisco VPN Client connection.
I noticed that some VPN Clients even though have correct DisplayName Value, they still receive VPN error, then I followed the below steps and it worked for me!
- Go to services by issuing command services.msc in command prompt
- Stop the Cisco Systems,Inc.VPN service
- Stop the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service
- Right click on ICS service and choose Properties. Then change Startup type to Disabled or Manual.
- Start Cisco Systems,Inc.VPN service