None to mention exclusively about the important of backing up PST. But do you know that Microsoft provides a free tool for you to backup your PST. It has awesome feature of saving your backup settings and reminder. Do you need one? Then follow the below steps
- Download Add-in: Personal Folders Backup from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9003
Note: Do not worry that Microsoft says the tool is compatible with Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2010. We have a fix for it to work in Outlook 2010.
- Double-click the pfbackup.exe program file on your hard disk to start the setup program.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
Outlook 2003 and 2007
- Start Outlook.
- On the File menu, choose Backup.
Bug: I noticed that even after successfully installing the setup, ‘Backup’ option doesn’t show up. In that case, I tried installing again with Outlook closed and finally got the option!
- To change the backup options, such as which .PST files to back up, click Options.
- Choose the PST files and specify the location.
- Click Ok and Save Backup option to backup the PST
- Download and Install the fix from http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2030523
- Once installed, open Outlook and choose Add-Ins > Backup option