All might have seen that an option is available in IE to disable Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts . Go to Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts. But when it comes to scenario of deployment across a domain, such option is not available in Group Policy to easily configure and enforce. All you need to do is creating a Custom Administrative Template.
Here is something that I put after being successfully tested in our environment.
1. Copy, paste below adm in notepad and save it as “Reusewindowsshort_cut.adm”
KEYNAME “Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main”
VALUEON NUMERIC 1
VALUEOFF NUMERIC 0
IEReuseWindows=”IE Custom Settings”
IEReuseWindowsPolicy=”Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts”
IEReuseWindowsPolicy_Explain=”Enable this setting to allow the reuse of windows for launching shortcuts”
2. Open Group Policy Editor and then right click on Administrative Templates under Computer Configuration. Choose Add/Remove Templates and browse to the location where you have saved your adm.
3. Click on Administrative Template and navigate to View > Filtering Option. Uncheck “Only show policies that can be fully managed” then only you will be able to see your custom policy.
4. Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > IE Custom Settings. Now you can see a policy “Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts” to define your settings
5. Set Enable for reusing windows and set disable to use new windows for launching shortcuts.